The Spanish explorer Gaspar de Portola visited this area in 1769. On
Sept. 4, 1781, “El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de Los Angeles,”
meaning “The Village of Our Lady, the Queen of the Angels” was founded
by the Mexican provincial governor, Filipe de Neve. "Queen of the
Angels" was the capital of the Mexican province, Alta California, until
its surrender to the United States in 1847. Mexico ceded California to
the United States, and Los Angeles was incorporated as a city in 1850.
Westwood Village finds its beginnings in development and
construction provided by the Janss family.
Architecture of note in the village is a combination of Art Deco and Mediterranean-revival architecture.